The next European elections in Belgium will be held on 26 May 2019. Every five years citizens may thus choose their representatives in the European Parliament. Are you a citizen of a country of the European Union? And do you want to vote for candidates from Belgian lists? Then you have to register as a voter (deadline: 28 February 2019).
In 2019 there will be 705 members of the European Parliament, of which 21 represent Belgium. As a representative institution of European citizens, the parliament is the democratic base of the European Union, with 20 areas of competence such as foreign affairs, employment, environment, agriculture, freedom, security, justice, foreign trade,…
Do you have the Belgian nationality and do you live on the territory of the City of Brussels? If you meet the voter requirements, you will receive your voting card in early May 2019.
Citizens of other EU countries
Do you have the nationality of one of the other countries of the European Union and do you live on the territory of the City of Brussels? Then you can:
- exercise the right to vote in your country of origin
- or vote for candidates from Belgian lists
If you want to vote for candidates from Belgian lists, you must meet 5 conditions:
- be a national of a Member State of the European Union
- be at least 18 years of age on 26 May 2019
- be entitled to vote on 26 May 2019
- have a principal place of residence and be registered in the population register or the register of foreign nationals of the City of Brussels on 1 March 2019 at the latest
- be registered on the electoral roll
How to register?
Complete a registration form no later than 28 February 2019 and send it to your local authority, accompanied by a copy of your ID card:
- At the counter: go personally with your ID card to the Elections Service on the 2nd floor of the Administrative Centre or one of the liaison offices to complete and sign the form
- By mail: send the completed and signed form, together with a copy of your ID card, to the following address: City of Brussels, Elections Service, Boulevard Anspach 6 – 1000 Brussels
- By e-mail: scan the completed and signed form and send it along with a copy of your ID card to [email protected]
- Online: fill in the online form, sign it electronically with your electronic residence permit and send it by e-mail to [email protected]
Good to know:
- As soon as your application has been accepted, you will be legally obliged to participate in the European elections in May 2019. And, in so far as you still meet the electoral conditions, also in the next elections. Unless you deregister, from the day after the elections. Citizens who do not comply with their electoral duty risk penalties. Remember, voting by proxy is possible as well.
- Have you already registered for the previous European elections? As long as you still meet the conditions, you do not have to make a new application and you will receive a voting card in early May 2019.
- The vote is unique: by deciding to exercise your voting right in Belgium, you can no longer exercise it in the state of which you are a citizen for this type of election.
In case you need further information, please visit the website of European Elections.