Belgian Minister of Justice Vincent Van Quickenborne announced his resignation late Friday following an attack in Brussels earlier this week that left two Swedish nationals dead.
His resignation comes after media reported that Tunisia had requested that Belgium extradite the attacker, Abdesalam Lassoued, one of its nationals, in August 2022 — but that the request was not processed. Lassoued was later killed by police after the October 16 attack.
Van Quickenborne said a magistrate had not complied with the extradition request drawn up for Lassoued. “I want to take political responsibility for this unacceptable mistake,” he said during a Friday press conference at his office.
Van Quickenborne said he had informed the prime minister of his decision.
“I sincerely want to apologize on behalf of justice to the victims and their loved ones. I would also like to apologize in the name of justice to the Swedish people and our Belgian fellow citizens,” he said, according to Belgian broadcaster RTBF.
Van Quickenborne recently came under increased scrutiny after guests at his home were caught on surveillance cameras urinating on police vans parked nearby.