French prosecutors have charged two men in connection to last week’s terror attack in Brussels that left two Swedish football supporters dead.
The National Anti-Terrorist Prosecutor’s Office said on Tuesday that two men were charged with “criminal conspiracy” and “complicity in murder linked to a terrorist plot.”
The two men, who were placed on pre-trial detention, are thought to be linked to the gunman who killed two Swedish football fans in an Islamist terror attack in Brussels last week. The attacker, a 45-year-old Tunisian man, was shot dead by police following an overnight manhunt.
Prosecutors said they opened an investigation into a possible criminal terrorist conspiracy after they received information from Belgian judicial authorities.
The suspects are part of a group of four people who were detained across several French regions last week for possible connections to the gunman, prosecutors said. But only two — both residing in the Paris region — were brought in front of a judge on Monday, while the other suspects were released.
Prosecutors said they are still determining their “links with the perpetrator of the attack.”
The attack has sent shockwaves across Europe and through the Belgian government, raising doubts over the country’s intelligence and security measures.
On Friday, Belgian Justice Minister Vincent Van Quickenborne resigned, taking responsibility for authorities’ failure to act on a request from Tunisia last year to extradite the attacker.
Nicolas Camut contributed reporting.
This story has been updated.