Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has been charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault, prosecutors said on Saturday.
The 21-year-old England international is due to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court on Monday, facing three counts relating to the same woman.
Janet Potter, the deputy chief crown prosecutor for CPS North West, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.”
“All three counts relate to the same complainant. Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.”
The player was first held in January over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online.
He had been on bail since then.
Shortly after 1500 GMT, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Greenwood.
Earlier on Saturday, Greenwood was arrested over an alleged breach of bail conditions.
He was also questioned on suspicion of making threats to kill. The forward has been on bail since.
Greater Manchester Police said they were “aware of an allegation regarding a 21-year-old man breaching his bail conditions and an arrest has been made.”
“Enquiries are ongoing at this time,” a force representative added.
Within hours of the allegations surfacing online at the beginning of the year, the forward — who has made one appearance for England — was suspended from playing or training with the Old Trafford club.
Nike suspended and later terminated its sponsorship deal with Greenwood, while Electronic Arts confirmed his removal from active squads on its FIFA 22 game.