The Geneva International Motor Show has been canceled after the Swiss government Friday declared a ban on mass events in a bid to stall the spread of the coronavirus.
The industry bash, due to run from March 5 to March 15, was set to feature the likes of Renault and Fiat-Chrysler among attendees.
Authorities in Switzerland announced that events with more than 1,000 attendees would be banned until at least March 15.
“The move is expected to provide effective protection to people in Switzerland and to public health,” Switzerland’s executive Federal Council said in a statement. “It should prevent or delay the spread of the disease in Switzerland, thus reducing its momentum.”
Nine cases have so far been reported in the country, according to local media.
The Geneva motor show attracted some 600,000 visitors in previous years. The venue, Palexpo, had previously insisted the show would go ahead with medical staff on hand and guidelines for attendees.
In an emailed statement confirming the decision Friday, the company said tickets would be refunded but that the “financial consequences for all those involved in the event are significant.”
Earlier this month, the Mobile World Congress technology conference in Barcelona was also canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
This story has been updated.